Friday 28 December 2018

Thailand, My first time ( Part 2 )

The nightlife and bar scene in Thailand is a topic well covered in many a forum and blog.
It was a topic i had read a lot about while researching for my trip ( it's hard to avoid when researching ) so i had a small understanding of what the idea was in the many bars and clubs that abound in Phuket and Patong in particular. I do have to admit the whole idea was intriguing and I was more than a little curious about it all , but at the same time it was not th prime motivation for the trip.
All the YouTube videos, reading, forums and opinions just can't prepare you for this part of Thailand night life though.

So it was that after wolfing down my noodle soup i ordered another drink and offered one to Oi as well. Up until this point i hadn't bought any of the staff a drink. It hadn't really crossed my mind. The bar wasn't busy when i arrived and it wasn't until Oi sat down to eat with me that a conversation had been more than a few sentences.
Over the course of the next two hours or so Oi and i talked a lot of Phuket and Thailand, places she recommended to go and see. She was also very curious about me, where i was from, why i had come. How long i was staying and much more. Of course i had read about the questions a bar lady will ask customers but at the time i didn't really think about that.
I was noticing though that Oi was getting very touchy with me, flirting for lack of a better term. For the most part i thought it was my imagination, or maybe the alcohol.

So by this time it was getting starting to get busy, both in the bar and on the street. I figured it was time to move on and have a look around. I told Oi i wanted to pay the bill.
"Where you go?" Was her immediate response.
I had no idea where i was headed and so that's what i told her.
Oi had made no move to grab my bill,. instead she stood there looking at me with a look i couldn't understand.
I guess I was staring back, or maybe I looked nervous, probably just confused.
Whatever it was suddenly Oi was sliding herself across me, squeezing herself between the table and my stool so she ended up sitting on my lap. Before i could say anything she leant her head back so her mouth was next to my ear and in a very mischievous tone said " im coming with you. I take care you tonight........if you like?"

Now i have to say that Oi was an attractive lady. In her late 20's she had what i can only call a really cute face and a gorgeous smile. She was actually tall compared to most of the other ladies i had seen in my several hours of inexperience in Thailand, but still quite short compared to the woman back in Australia.
Anyway i was speechless. I had no idea what to do. Why did this attractive lady want to come with me? A guy she barely knew?
Of course somewhere inside i knew the answer but up to this point i hadn't consciously considered it.
The look on my face must have been hilarious as i struggled to comprehend exactly what was going on. Oi just lent her head against mine and said please.
What the hell I decided. She was good company and it would be nice to have someone i already had a rapport with to talk too while taking in the nightlife of Patong.

So bill paid, as well as the fee ( barfine ) required to take Oi away from the bar, of we headed into the night.
What followed was several hours of a night i will never forget.
Oi took me too several bars, each one different than the ones before. Rock bars where we danced and sang our hearts out. A sports bar where we played pool and chatted with a group of guys who came together every year. Gogo bars, a lounge bar and lastly a little bar on the street near hotel where it was quiet ( for patong ) and there were dozens of food carts for us to eat from.
It was an amazing night.

I was blown away by the relaxed atmosphere compared to Australian nightlife. The hundreds of ladies who worked the bars and the streets, calling out to passers by, running out to the street to try and playfully drag customers into the bar and having a good laugh. The lady boys who paraded around the street, tall and dressed like showgirls, the assaulting level and mix of music that came.out of the dozens and dozens of bars crowded together.
It was the wee hours of the morning when i finally succumbed to the need for sleep and the effects of alcohol.
I went to sleep feeling exhilaration and happiness for so many reasons. I knew already I would be back to Thailand and i hadn't even been here 24 hrs.
I had not even seen any of the country itself, away from the tourist centres like Patong.

I had not discovered the real Thailand yet but in the trips to come these areas would become the parts i came to love most.

More to follow soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Renting and Riding Scooters

One of the most common activities for many visitors to Thailand has to be riding scooters. Look at any you tube video or travel video and y...